Feature Request - Length search

I’ve had this thought for a while, and I don’t know if anyone else thinks this. But I feel like the site could benefit from the search bar having a few more options. I think it could benefit from the user being able to set the minimum and/or maximum length of the stories they want to search for.

Also, I think it would be useful for the user to be able to sort stories by length, like we can sort by date or author. Idk, I just think it would be a useful feature to have. However, I know how difficult it can be for some features to be added, with coding and all that, so it’s not a necessity. Just a suggestion from a hopefully humble user

6 Likes

It’s also possible to implement this already via the tags if Martin is inclined - basically having the tag “short” “medium” or “long” applied to stories of appropriate lengths. But I think the last time it came up we foundered around on the definition of the buckets. (<4k short, <8k medium, else long is I think where we were last time? But I don’t know if Martin gave us the distribution of story lengths).

However this would allow microfiction that’s been discussed a bit on the Discord to be corralled and organized more easily - basically, anything under 1,000 words could be published, but people could filter it easily by asking not to see the “microfiction” tag.

1 Like

There are multiple options to implement this. It’s just a matter of me being able to get around to it … :slight_smile:

3 Likes