Feature Request - Tab for readers to prod author to keep writing story

Slight correction:

The number of views by logged in users count each user only ONCE, no matter how often he visits the same story. BUT the total number how often a certain user visits the same story is actually tracked, too, and is used for the stats on the profile page :slight_smile:

And views by the author himself are not counted, neither for total page views nor for logged in users. Unless he visits the page while being logged off, of course.

3 Likes

Good, the number of times we refresh our own stories to check the stats should be between us and god. No one needs to know. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ugh. Now I am confused (again). Views are counted once but visits are not? What is the difference between a view and a visit?

There are two numbers visible to the author:

• Total Views of the story - This is counting each single hit by anyone, even repeated.
  • Total registered users visiting the story - There each user is counted only once, no matter how often he visits the same story.

But Internally, I count the number of visits for each user of any given story. It’s just not displayed directly.

2 Likes

Dude if we knew how to reliably motivate ourselves we wouldn’t keep it a secret!

But it’s a common joke in the discord that meaningful comments are like fuck cocaine for motivation. I still remember the one commenter like two years ago who said he wanted a three-volume doorstoper epic series based on one of my stories.

5 Likes

Then I’m addicted! And on withdrawal.

3 Likes

One hundred percent this – comments come in at #1 for me, but following that is rating the stories, especially if you like them, because those little badges can help other people discover stories you love, which leads to more comments, which leads to happier authors…

Likes are great, too!

I do often wish there was an “Overall” rating that allowed people to consider the story on the whole, too, along merits that don’t necessarily fit into the existing rating categories and try to take the whole thing into account.

If the existing rating system didn’t already exist, I’d definitely be a fan of a 1-rating 5 star track that asked readers to just consider the story on the whole. As it stands, I dunno that it’s practical or desirable to add another dimension to an already involved rating system. If I were to implement something like that, I’d average the old ratings. Imperfect, but workable…

Technically it’s no problem to add another category, problem is that it would be unfair to older stories published before that category was added.

Also, I’m not so sure that people are not already overwhelmed with the amount of rating categories.

And thirdly, for me the “Hot” category comes the closest to what you’re looking for. A great story on GSS - no matter the focus and the sex contents - is always hot to me. But that just might be me :slight_smile:

One of the things I wondered could be an added feature is that, currently to see the stats on your story, you have to go to each chapter and look; it would be great if all the stats for every chapter, and every story, could be seen on one page at once. I was thinking maybe on the author’s profile page seen by the author alone.

Thanks, I love how much you work to accommodate us entitled authors.

TA

I see your point, that would be quite an interesting page to set up.

It should be better places as a Feature Request on its own (separate thread) so people can vote on it with “Likes”. Don’t forget, every request you want to see implemented should be marked with a “like”, so I can see what people really want.

That makes sense, it just seemed to fit with the discussion on motivating writers, but I see why it needs its own discussion. I’ll put in a separate feature request.

2 Likes

I’d love to see that feature. I have some ideas, but I’ll save it for whenever you create the thread.

I’ve made the thread now.

HAHAAHAHA!

It’s pure evil…
…but it’s also pure brilliant as well