More 'woke' nonsense

I realize I’m coming in several days late, but I’ve gotten several email messages asking me to comment on this thread since a few of the posts point to one of my tales. Got about thirty email messages blasting me for “racism” over that one “you’re a horny buck” line late in the story too. I must agree with Kylechu20’s comment that “Comments like the above is what discourages me to write sometimes, it just makes me feel like I’m walking on eggshells.”

So, a couple of points. One, real-world me is mixed race (50% brown), so the debate isn’t foreign to me. I get a number of emails telling me I should write more stories starring people of color so that they’re more visible in MC-themed erotica. Most of the time, I never specify characters’ race, one way or another, but every now and then I do write stories with settings or characters that reflect the world in which I live. But specifying a character’s race often gets me blasted by people who have to go 'splaining to me how offended they are that a top or a bottom is a specific race. “Blah-blah-blah, onjectified black bodies. Yadda-yadda, stereotyping oversexed Latinos.” So sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Two, I think people who have focused solely on the “horny buck” line late in that particular story have engaged in a highly selective reading, like those people who sit around on Twitter or other platforms just waiting to be offended. They’ve ignored the character arc, where the black character in the first part of the story makes a number of comments about the white character that could be considered racist, considering him an asshole, “low-class,” and “shit-kicker” mostly because he drawls and comes across as a bossy alpha-type. But hey, maybe whites can’t be the target of racism, right? And maybe twisting one innocent comment toward the end makes the whole story about the black character’s racial oppression rather than his socio-erotic awakening and potential movement away from his own racism. And either way, that’s probably an over-thought approach to a twelve-page short story that’s otherwise intended simply as fuel for readers’ desire-engines.

And for those who have sought to PC-'splain to me why “buck” is always a racist term, check the edits I made to that story almost immediately. I revised the “you’re a horny buck” line to disarm readers who want to go on the “so offended” attack; and to those who have blasted me in email that “buck” is always a derogatory term, well, guess what the white character’s name has become.

9 Likes

I totally agree. As a man of colour I REFUSE to be a victim that needs constant protection and shielding from any kind of criticism. Seeing yourself as a victim all the time eats away at your soul and leaves you incapable of self-improvement. All victims can do is see life through the lens of their own oppression. Folk need to rise above that otherwise they see any setback in their lives as the fault of another rather than due to something they could improve in themselves. It saps away at any sense of responsibility for oneself and kills both personal development and creativity. If I write a story for this site and it gets low reviews, I concentrate on how I can do better in the future. I don’t just sit on my ass bitching about how all the readers must be racist…

3 Likes

While I agree that people can not blame everything on their perceived oppression, we can not under represent that oppression does exist. I have known people who have been bullied and harassed because of their sexuality. To say we just need to grow from that experience, or say we can not blame another for being racist, undermines oppression when it does occur. Yes, we can and should learn, but if people are being racist, or homophobic, to just ignore it and say I will learn from it and grow, means that the oppressor hasn’t, and shouldn’t learn. We should call things as it is, instead of what it is perceived.

3 Likes

Obviously REAL racist, sexist, antigay or other prejudiced attitudes need to be challenged. I am not talking about that. I am talking about people making such accusations spuriously, either to excuse their own failings or to prove how politically virtuous they are. Such accusations are a pose and - when they are used to criticise art / fiction - dangerous.

4 Likes