New Site Design

Just want to add that this happens to me on mobile too. Often when I stop scrolling and keep the screen on a certain point, when I put my finger back on the screen to start scrolling again, it will make a bookmark of wherever I put my finger.

It’s not difficult to just remove it, but it is a little bit of a hassle.

1 Like

My finger will rest on the screen for a second, bam bookmark. I don’t do the quick flick to scroll, I page through as I read so most scrolls bookmark.

That’s just how I scroll baby

1 Like

I have the same exact scrolling issue. But its been this way for a while so I figure whatever by now. But yes, I still have this issue as well.

On infinite scrolling, I go the non-infinite option every time I move beyond just a few stories so it doesn’t exist for me. And when I do seem to scroll down a bit that infinite might start I go back up and touch pagination.

Hm, so you scroll and after you moved the screen, you keep holding the finger? And then the bookmark appears?

It’s a bit tricky to get this right. To make it easy to set bookmarks, but not to set them accidently. For example, if I only set them after you removed your finger and check then if the screen has moved at all, then you’d only get to see the bookmark after releasing the finger - which is kinda strange and counter-intuitive, too.

Maybe a “clear all bookmakrks” button, but I’m afraid noone would use that either - if you don’t care about bookmarks, why should you…

@Heru_Kane I’m a bit stunned how someone could be loathing scrolling THAT much. Tell me, what’s so extremely bad about scrolling down a bit that you hate it so much?

I just went back to my phone (Android) and tried it myself. Once I move my finger, it doesn’t set the bookmark, even if I keep pressing. Only if I touch and hold still for a second it sets the bookmark. But even if it wouldn’t set the bookmark, the OS itself starts the “marking-procedure” to mark text for a copy & paste operation.

I guess you’re not on Android, are you? Otherwise your way of scrolling would activate the OS’ text marking feature, too, all the time… because it reacts practically at the same time as my bookmarking.

What kind of phone do you have?

I guess I could offer an option to disable in-text bookmarks altogether, if that’s what you prefer…

I’m sorry. With things as they are in my country (tonight was a debate and I’m angry) I’m getting a bit frustrated and annoyed and taking it out where it doesn’t belong.

So I’m sorry.

1 Like

That’s ok, Heru, I get it. I haven’t watched the debate myself (it started around 3am for us), but what I heard in the morning news has been telling.

I wouldn’t want to live in the US right now either.

Yes, it happens on Android phones, tried two of them.
No, the copy/paste function doesn’t kick in, my finger isn’t resting that long.

I also unintentionally make bookmarks on a majority of the stories I read. I guess it’s just the way I scroll?

Also while I’m thinking about it, I also get the reminder to rate a story very very early in while I’m reading, maybe around when I’m around 25% of the way through the story.

One more thing… it’s weird to get the 4.9% of stories are hidden notice at the bottom of the story page… it makes sense on story listings, but not on the story page…

Also, to be clear, I offer this in feedback in the friendliest way possible… I really do appreciate the site and all the hard work you’ve put into it Martin!

Yes please, even if you can’t reproduce it the bookmark feature is of little benefit. There’s not many stories long enough to warrant it being an always-on feature.

I’ve doubled the time until the bookmark kicks in. This change will get live in a couple of days (I’m currently working on a bigger update).

Ok, it should appear around 2/3s of a page before you reach the end. But on short stories, that can feel like VERY early. I will make it appear a bit later, too.

It simply appears after a certain time you’ve spend on the site, no matter where you currently are. If you dismiss it, it won’t show up again in the same session and even for the next 3 days. I could extend that time, but we’ve got complains that stories are missing, but people just forgot that they have a filter active. That’s why I added this.

Please criticize as much as you want, especially if it’s that constructive as you did. Only if you give feedback, I can learn where people are unhappy and what to improve!

Otoh, I always have to weigh various preferences, usage types, problems etc., so one persons obvious change might still not be easy to do or to resolve without adding a nuisance for someone else…

I accidentally set bookmarks but actually love it. I find it means I can be reading a series of stories, move onto the next chspter and then leave it a few paragraphs in once interuppted or needing to get to work. Im using a samsung s9 on the latest android but @Corin I love the bookmark feature while scrolling. I guess we all have different preferences, but personally I think all the upgrades are fantastic (& I’m a massive fan of endless scrolling)

1 Like

So I attempted to click the report button on a comment related to ‘gay dating website’ and I don’t know if it worked or not. I was wondering if maybe there could be some color change or highlight or message that the report was sent.

Also, I think your modification to bookmark sensitivity has made it more sensitive on phones. I use an android and its even easier to click.

If you click the button, a dialog should pop up giving you the chance to enter the reason for your report.

Only if you confirm that dialog, the comment will be flagged. And after it has been flagged, this is also visible to everyone, as the “Report”-Button gets permanently highlighted.

Maybe you can try this again? I’ll leave the offending report for now, so you can test this. As we’ve got reports in the past, I’m pretty confident, that it’s working in general.

Interesting. So its weird but I am double clicking it and nothing comes up. No option to give a reason.

Update - so the option to give a reason works in the Comment page for me but not in the actual story page.

Ah. Makes sense. My mistake.

Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

@Heru_Kane @Donkbutt @KinkyNickInSea @anon51804104

The promised update is live. The bookmark feature hopefully doesn’t kick in by accident that easily on touch displays. Please tell me if you see an improvement.

The rating reminder has also been tweaked a little.

See the details about the update here