The Reindeer Clause will be published

Hi everyone!

So my story The Reindeer Clause grew to the length of a novel and got a lot of really wonderful feedback. A lot of people said they wanted to actually buy a copy to own, so I’ve decided to publish it. I talked to someone who has published more vanilla M/M romance novels and he gave me a good idea of the publishing landscape. Self-publishing on Amazon was his recommendation, so that’s what I’m going to do.

Unfortunately, this means I’ll be removing the story from the site. I’ve already let Martin know about this and I think I’ll be taking it down at the end of the first week in October. The story (at least the early parts before I got going) is being revised and expanded and some of the prologue is being cut, so I think it’ll be ok to leave the original Prologue up on this site as a bit of a placeholder. The thing about the prologue is that I originally envisioned the story as being more in the style of erotic horror and much darker than it came out. Instead it’s a romantic fairytale; it’s an intense story, and people have cried reading it, but you will feel good in the end.

I cannot thank you all enough, there are so many views on the story and judging by unique views it looks like about 350 people read the whole series. The ratings are … I’m sorry I’m just gonna say it because I’m really proud. The earlier chapters were quite rough because I lacked confidence at first but once the story hit the stride the ratings were amazing. Various chapters of the story currently hold the 1, 5, 6, 7, 14, and 15th highest positions for writing quality on the site (all-time). One of the later nonsexual parts holds the 2nd highest rating for idea. I mean like, DAMN. I don’t think I would have been able to finish my first novel if I hadn’t been given so much thoughtful, positive, encouraging feedback. I want you to know that while I’m working on polishing it up for the novel release, I’ve got the sequel, The Reindeer Mob, pretty well plotted so that’s the next thing I’ll work on once I’ve published.

13 Likes

Hey folks Martin has now removed all of the chapters except for the prologue. Plans are a little shaky still because it feels like there is just so much to do. But I am still hoping that I have the book in Amazon’s Kindle store by mid November.

I have completely restructured the story into traditional novel format with about 25 chapters. The first third of the book has been more extensively rewritten and polished so I hope that if you check it out once it is available you will be very pleased.

Thank you again to all the readers and commenters for your support.

5 Likes

This is a great story.
Looking forward to buying a copy on Amazon and reading the next installment.
Will the next book will focus on Santa’s herd up in the North?
Thanks

1 Like

Book two is called the Reindeer Mob and will detail Gary and Comet investigating what happened to the other reindeer who’ve been released on Earth.

5 Likes

Great news! I’m here for you if you need advice, guidance, or just moral support. Excited to purchase.

Are you using a pseudonym?

1 Like

Had a bit of a heart attack when I saw that it was gone–can’t wait to purchase myself!

1 Like

So any specific date for The Reindeer Clause publication this month or will it be next month?

2 Likes

I had actually expected to have it up already but I’ve had to struggle through some, well, depression issues. It’s pretty intimidating to self-publish your first book to boot. Thank you for your interest though it really provides me with motivation. Right now I’m just going through a final proofread and I think around Thanksgiving I’ll be doing the layout so hopefully by the end of the month.

6 Likes

Glad I could help you even a little bit.

1 Like

You’re right! It IS intimidating to self-publish — all the more reason you should. Of anybody, I understand your nervousness and ambivalence. It’s super scary.

Now let me say this: your story is excellent. It deserves a wider audience. I’m excited to own a copy! The more people to discover it, the more people that will love it! (Dude, I have fans in Australia and Japan — who’d have thought?)

Get it out there. Believe in yourself and your talent! You and the novel will do well!

5 Likes

Hang in there, friend.

You have written a beautiful story that is going to bring joy and pleasure to a lot of people. What you’re doing is worthwhile.

6 Likes

Support from Down Under. Chiming in.
Just like absman above you have a fan in Australia.

And in Aussie parlance. “I’d froth this”

(translation : I would be most enthusiastic at the chance to buy your book!")

But take your time. Be safe. Look after you first.

Even Comet got lost once before he found his way home.

2 Likes

Things are coming along and I’ll soon be submitting the Kindle book to Amazon to validate and categorize. I’m thinking that I will have a release date for next week. I’m debating if I want to list it for pre-order and if I do then probably would be next week Friday that it goes live. I’m still thinking about things though.

6 Likes

just let us know as soon as it can be ordered!

What are you thinking about?

1 Like

Well if I don’t find any problems with the next proofread and it uploads okay then I submit it to Amazon and it takes a few days before it’s approved. Abs man strongly recommended that I have a planned release date and promote it. Apparently it really helps the system if a bunch of people buy the book as soon as it’s available, so I don’t want to push it live and then start coming around to a bunch of different places and saying oh it’s up now. I want everyone to know at the same time. I also have to work on the actual store page. So there’s just so much work to do. Plus I haven’t even begun to lay out the paperback version and I really want to do that myself and do a beautiful job. I used to actually be a type setter and the thought of publishing my own book and not doing a beautiful layout is just intolerable.

So right now my plan is that at least the Kindle version will be live next week Friday. If things move along smoothly then I should be able to list it for pre-order.

6 Likes

I’ll wait for the paperback. I like the idea of holding this book in my hands!

2 Likes

I remember doing all of that — and dread doing it again — but think of it as the pain of childbirth. What you get in the end is worth it.

1 Like

I will be ordering your kindle version a week from tomorrow then. And then the paperback when it becomes available.

I’m so excited for you!

3 Likes

This is exciting! Can’t wait X)

1 Like

I’m gonna have me a comet sized serve of both!

Noct, if you do the layout & publish of the paperback yourself. Any chance we can pay extra for an autographed edition please?

Relz

2 Likes