Annoying questions about Authors and Accounts šŸ˜

OK, so.

I donā€™t know where to start with this one, and Iā€™m imagining maybe 75% of this will mostly be for Martin.

Whatā€™s the craic with Author names and Account names here? (on GKS/GSS)

Say I suddenly wanted to write a string of 20+, near-identical non-con hypnostories with twinks in them (trying to randomly say something thatā€™s the opposite of my style), but I wanted to just use a burner author name.
Can I do that?

Say my normal account name is ā€˜The Dirty Spidersā€™, but I want all these off-brand stories to beā€¦ ā€˜The Clean Bugsā€™

What happens when I put some other Author name in the author name box?

What happens if I put some other email address in the email box?

Can I publish anonymously if Iā€™m logged in? (just by using a different author name?)

Can I publish stories ā€” when logged in ā€” that donā€™t link back to ā€˜The Dirty Spidersā€™ user account, or story list? (etc).

see? annoying questions.

When I tried a couple stories under another pen name, I just logged out and setup a new account.

Iā€™m sure Martin has wonderful technical answers, but thatā€™s what I did.

Me too, itā€™s just, there are downsides to making ghost accounts; You gotta remember them and the passwords and emails etc,

and there are downsides to submitting anonymously; Iā€™m a clumsy writer, and If I post a story anonymously, Iā€™m not sure I even know how Iā€™d go about editing post-publishing punctuation and grammar mistakes.

Nothing annoying about this question :slight_smile:

The difference between ā€œauthorsā€ and ā€œaccountsā€ is certainly confusing.

Authors were introduced by Hugh even before accounts existed. The idea is that you can publish stories anonymously without even needing an account.

An author is basically just a name, an arbitrary string you can enter. The system just automatically remembers all author names which were ever used and it can list all stories which were published under a given author name. The ā€œauthorā€ entity in the system is really very simple and dumb.

The account system was added later and is totally independent. A story is ā€œownedā€ by an account (a story can even have multiple owners).

You can still enter various different Author names when using a single account. And that different author name is then shown next to the story, too.

BUT: Your avatar and the profile which your avatar is linking to is still taken from the account, no matter what Author name you choose.

So publishing under a different author while being logged in with your original account wonā€™t hide your identity from the reader. He can still click your avatar and see the account behind it.

Thatā€™s actually a bad design choice on my part. I should have associated profiles with the author, not the account, so writers can have multiple virtual personalities while still using one account. But that didnā€™t even occur to me back then.

Now it is as it is. You can publish under a pen name if you donā€™t care that people can figure out who you really are, or you have to create a second account, Iā€™m afraid.

Can I ask what inspired you to try writing some stories under a different pen name? Was it similar to the reasons Spiders mentioned in his hypothetical? (This is a subject thatā€™s been on my mind lately, for maybe obvious reasons, so Iā€™ve been curious to hear other peopleā€™s thoughts in similar situations.)

Though, you know what, please donā€™t feel that you have to answer this questionā€¦ I realize itā€™s a bit prying and personal.

For me itā€™s just, Iā€™ve seen the damage that having too wide a scope can do. (Both in music and in writing)

Iā€™m not trying to backhand compliment myself and be all ā€œoh Iā€™m just so creative and dynamic, people canā€™t handle my genius.ā€

Like. Iā€™ve had people find a story of mine. Obsess over it., then read another, and realise itā€™s a totally different thing with no element in common and then just stopā€¦ ā€œtrusting meā€ as an author (for lack of a better word).

I have a lot of fans who are fans of one of my stories, and then just, do not engage with the rest. (I realise this is rich coming from a guy with no published stories under his own name at the moment, but this is a recap from other times).

Basically., if itā€™s different enough, itā€™s just sensible and considerate categorization (for readers) to have multiple pen-names.

2 Likes

Nah, my reasoning was more egotistical. I wanted to find out if Iā€™d receive the same kind of feedback as I did under my ā€˜established brandā€™. Basically trying to find out if my writing is any good, or if Iā€™ve just got people who follow my work.

It was a little of both. The feedback was great, but there were far less views.

4 Likes

I see ā€” and Iā€™ve heard similar from a couple of authors who have considered (or tried out) pen names. I know that authors who write different types of romance novels will do this as well, sometimes. Supernatural romance under one nameā€¦ Period romance under anotherā€¦

Were you ever tempted to consolidate your other stories under your main account?

(Iā€™ve been thinking recently whether I should consolidate my two authors accounts. So Iā€™m really curious what other peopleā€™s thought processes have been in similar situations, I guess.)

Ouu, good angle :sweat_smile:

I decided against it, but just because I only wrote a couple stories under other names.

If I ever write something thatā€™s wildly different from my standard fare, I might end up doing another pen name for that, but I donā€™t know that Iā€™ll be stepping out of my comfort zone anytime soon.

1 Like

Actually one of the reasons Iā€™ve enjoyed writing stories for contests. Seeing what happens when anonymised, and then checking to see if thereā€™s any change (positive or negative) after the reveal.

Unfortunately itā€™s not really comparable before and after due to the story not being new, and also I tend to forget what the results were when Iā€™m not looking directly at them, but still fun. Saves on consolidation also.

1 Like

Jeez, now Iā€™ll have to read every story on the site in hopes of figuring out which are your pseudonymous stories.

4 Likes