Site Updates Pt. 2

Can you give me an example? It could well be that there’s something wrong with the calculations…

Thank you! These are great changes Martin. I’m looking forward to posting something new and trying them out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess it’s just that each story is now listed 5 times (once for each category). I’ll fix that as I get around to it.

Thanks for letting me know!

2 Likes

The ratings (specifically, the number of icons and whether they’re gold or silver) for a lot of my stories seem to have decreased significantly since I last looked. Given that you changed the system, that could be all it is, or maybe they were declining over time and I just didn’t notice, but I thought I’d mention it in case there’s some issue with the calculations.

You are always so amazing with the amount of time and care you put into this site. Bravo!

2 Likes

The badges should not be changed, as the algorithms should have remained the same. If something changed significantly, I’ll look into it. Best give an example please.

@nycboot That’s so very nice of you to say!

1 Like

In my profile I used to have around 700 ratings received and now it’s 2780, the ratings averages and the badges, on the other hand, have not changed.

1 Like

In that case, they’ve probably just gone down over time and I hadn’t noticed. I can’t cite a specific example, cuz I don’t track my ratings all that closely.

I can, of course. But can you tell me why you think 20 days is too much?

@Finn

Don’t be sorry, I totally understand your argument. But that’s exactly the reason why I made that change in the first place: As soon as some stories got enough ratings and received badges, they then got almost all the hits while the rest was basically neglected - and in effect never got enough ratings to get badges in the first place.

That’s why I want to give all new stories the same chance to proof themselves before people can actually chose what to read based on ratings.

1 Like

I sometimes look at the ratings. But I find that a significant number of stories are rated in a way that doesn’t coincide with my opinions. I recall getting through a multi-chapter story that was rated super hot. When I got to the end it just didn’t strike me in the same way. Conversely, there are some stories that I think are wonderful and have gotten ratings below what I think they deserve.

I’m sure this is typical: we all have different tastes. So it’s just a reminder to take those ratings “with a grain of salt” (skeptically), and that knowing how one’s own taste intersects with the tags can be an alternative method for finding stories that one likes.

1 Like

For some reason I can no longer select tags when attempting a search.

@rwriter51
What do you mean exactly? What’s happening when you try to select tags?

Nevermind, I see what you mean. Will be fixed shortly, hopefully later today. Until then you’ll have to type the tags you want to search for.

I have a problem to search stories. When I select “match all tags”, the searching results are the same as those of “match any tags”. It happened after this updated.

Ok, I’ll look into that too. Thanks for reporting.

After the crash of the old search engine (ElasticSearch) two weeks ago, I was forced to put some considerable work into fixing that. I’ve decided to update the engine and that made it necessary to update the third-party plugin to access the engine, too. And that plugin had some bugs and shortcomings, which I had to fix along the way, too.

I’ve also used the opportunity to implement some long-standing changes to the site’s search function to resolve some frequent usage problems. The long list of details can be found in the first posting of this thread.

Originally, I also wanted to add the feature request to make it possible to narrow down the search to stories with a certain word length and I’ve actually put a lot of code into that already, but in the end, I had to postpone that for now, sorry for that.

Also, I had some problems with the indexing of the site’s data with the new version of the search engine, that’s why the search function continued to be down repeatedly over the last days. Sorry for that. I hope it’s stable now.

All the bugs reported in this thread in the last days should also be fixed now. Thanks for reporting them!

3 Likes

Thanks for all your hard work, Martin.

1 Like

Wow! Awesome! Thanks!

1 Like

I think that the search is still messed up, it looks like you can’t search for multiple tags with an AND, it just seems to be an OR every time you search for something, regardless of match any/all tags, every time I add more tags I get more results instead of fewer…