Site Updates Pt. 2

I appreciate and thank for all your works, Martin.

But there are still some problems with searching.
For example, I select the tags “rubber” and “drone”, choose “only listed tags” and “match all tags”, the results seem to be all stories with the tag “rubber” including those without the tag “drone”. However, the tag “drone” would also be highlighted.

You’re right. It seems like Rubber is always enough, while only Drone doesn’t suffice in your example. That’s clearly wrong.

It has always been like this, but no one ever realized that, now with the new highlighting, this seem to become very apparent.

Anyway, thanks for reporting, also to @Pokergs !

1 Like

@Pokergs @Tofu83

The problem should be fixed.

1 Like

That’s an indirect consequence of marking those stories as deleted. The series (not the individual stories) are no longer properly linked to your account. And especially for your “Nod Yes” story, I don’t see a proper way to fix that without changing the code.

I have to improve the code there to deal with that.

2 Likes

2021-05-12

Today’s update tries to improve the usability on smartphone screens:

• Title row is now using the whole width of the display
  • Tag list is limited to three lines now and can be “unfolded” with a button
  • On the lists where series are shown together with the latest chapter (like on the home page “Latest” tab) only the series title is now shown, a button “unfolds” the rest of the series details

More bugfixes are listed in the initial posting, as usual.

Please let me know if you prefer the new look of the lists on mobile phones.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Layout on mobile phones

2021-05-15

• Tweaked the mobile phone display a bit more. Most notable change is that the series rating icons are now visible on a phone even before the unfold button is pressed.
  • Replaced the Discord icon with the new design that was revealed today.
1 Like

2021-05-29

• Corrected bug that made it impossible to publish new Community Series
  • Tags blocked from Safe Mode can now still additionally blocked manually while safe mode is active (to ban them from being shown in the lists, too).
  • Reduced images sizes (logo head and text) to improve loading time on slower networks
  • Added admin controls to user profile page
  • Various small bugfixes
1 Like

I haven’t posted updates for a very long time, because I think they’re not that interesting. Still, I’ve constantly added improvements here and there.

Today I finally resolved an issue that only affected iOS users, which I just want to point out:

Before, when going back to the home page from a story (by using browser back or just swiping right), the position of the homepage was always all the way to the top. It was supposed to bring you back to the exact position you were before you clicked that story.

This is the only way an endless scrolling page makes sense, otherwise, it’s just not convenient to use.

I had put a lot of work into getting that mechanic to work on all browsers - but I lack a proper iOS device, so I missed that it didn’t work there.

Today I finally resolved this. Now if you go back you should be at the exact same spot you left the home page.

Also, I fixed some problems when forcing a reload of the homepage and several situations where buttons on the home page (like replying to a comment) stopped working.

Let me know if you see any additional problems on the page which make your life difficult!

3 Likes

I’m sure this won’t apply to everyone, but I like seeing the site updates myself. Even a brief description gives me insight into what “the new thing” is that I’m seeing on-screen. Plus, it lets me know what “the new thing” is supposed to do, so if it’s not doing it, I know to report it as a bug instead of just dismissing it as something I don’t understand.

3 Likes

Good day! I’m new here, I’m enjoying things, I’ve recently passed to Level 1.
Was reading a story about Hydration, the end chapter was blocked due to “safe” issues.
I am a 58 y/o gay man who stumbled upon this site, and I am entranced, I’m doing a 7 day excitement tour, but the Hydration trilogy was cut short on safety. Peoples here, I’ve done what I can to maximize my experience before I sign up. The Hypnotics, the mind control, the hypnotism, and the Hydration trilogy really worked me up, I’d like to reach out to the author, maybe revive his desire with some scenarios in my wicked brain! I have imagination, I know the stories I make up, I’d love to collaborate with a writer, who can covey my ideas into text,

Hi!

Not sure if I understand you correctly. If a story is blocked due to the “safe mode” (a red box in the middle of the text cutting it off), it’s in place because some people are wary due to legal issues with incest and violent stories.

But if you have an account, the safe mode should be disabled by default, so you should have access to all stories without any limits. Make sure you’re actually logged on when visiting the site. Let me know if you still have problems with accessing that story.

Bye, Martin

2022-03-20

Highlights

• Better rendering of images in stories. They can have captions now and can be clicked/touched to zoom them full screen.
  • Images can now be uploaded to our server to be used in stories or on the profile.
  • User profiles are way more flexible now and can use a custom background and images.
  • The site’s text editor (for comments and stories) has been replaced. It now uses an accurate preview and a couple of additional features like emojis.

To illustrate those changes, I’ve updated my own profile and added a couple of images to my story Community Service.

Detailed description of all changes

For a very long time, I had the plan to allow images to be uploaded by authors to be used in stories. Also, I was never happy with our text editor, as there were compatible issues with text correction tools like Grammarly or Apple’s auto-correct. Its preview was also not very accurate.

It’s not possible to use a public web component for our image upload, as the requirements are way too specific, so I had to code the whole dialog myself. It was a lot of fun, but also a huge amount of work. So after almost two weeks of full-time work, I’m finally done and quite proud of the whole thing:

• The text editor for text stories and comments has been replaced (see above for the reasons). Its preview is now separate and can be toggled with the buttons on the editor’s bottom right corner.
    In turn, the option to toggle the “Extended editor” has been removed, as it’s no longer necessary.

• There are many new features supported by the new editor and site’s markdown rendering, like adding emojis, footnotes in stories, and some more text formatting options. The markdown rendering has been moved into the browser (before it was done on the server).

• There is an all-new dialog in the text editor which allows embedding images into stories and other texts. This new dialog can be opened with this icon in the editor’s toolbar:

• In that dialog, it’s possible to upload images directly to our server to be hosted from there. You can still link to images from the web, too, and a new preview function in the dialog helps to determine if the URL is working properly.

• Uploaded images are automatically scaled down to 1200px (longer side), if necessary, and they are always internally converted to JPG (80% quality) to save server space.

• Every user has a minimum budget of 2 MB for uploaded images. That’s enough for around 10-20 images. By becoming a Sponsor for GSS, that budget can be increased to up to 500 MB!

• The system tracks if and where your images are used and it doesn’t allow images to be deleted which are still in use. Each image can be used multiple times in stories and/or on the user’s profile page.

• The image dialog is specifically adapted to work well on desktop browsers and mobile devices. On desktops, there’s a classic thumbnail view, while a carousel slider is used on phones.

• A caption text can now be added below images.

• Images inside of stories can now be clicked/touched to auto-zoom them to full screen. In turn, the actual display inside of the story is smaller now, so the pictures don’t interfere with the story text that much anymore.
    Also, the images now alternatively float on the left and right sides of the text. The frame around the images has been replaced with a simple shadow.
    To see how these changes look and work, check out my story Community Service.

• The user’s profile page has been reworked. The old “profile image” is now used as the background for the whole page. Both the profile text and the commissioning text can contain images now.
    A new box has been added, where all the images a user has uploaded so far are shown, together with the info on which stories they’re used.
    Check out my own profile to see an example for the new profile look.

• Updated to the latest version of “Fontawesome”, which will cause some icons to look slightly different.

• Many small fixes and improvements here and there.

The changes are fundamental, and even though I’ve spent a crazy amount of time testing it all, I’d be very surprised if there weren’t any bugs and broken features.

In case you see anything that doesn’t work properly, please let me know right away! Also, any comments, critiques or maybe even praises are always welcome… :wink:

4 Likes

Can we get a filter or tag for images in the search, etc? I personally dislike reading stories with images (prefer to go by an author’s description/use my own imagination) so I’d like to be able to avoid them especially since there is currently no way to know if a story has them until you click on it. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’d rather add an option that hides images from those users who don’t want to see them than adding a filter.

Would that help you?

3 Likes

Maybe even turn them into links so the user has the option of clicking through. You could maybe ask the uploader to optionally specify tooltip text to use for the image. Normally, you’d use that as the tooltip, but if the reader doesn’t want images, you can use that as the link text instead. You could use the caption text as the link text or, if not provided, just use “image”.

(Edited due to me having missed that you could add captions. :stuck_out_tongue: )

That was my plan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually yes, that would be perfect!

1 Like

Awesome work Martin, as always. This is exciting!

2 Likes

2022-10-01

• New feature: Branching & Interactive Series - #2 by DerekWilliams
  • Submission Dialog for new stories has been streamlined and improved
  • Search function now prioritizes the tags searched for (as opposed to aliased tags)
  • Series (list of chapters in a series) layout redesigned. Can be switched between the old “Chronological view” and the new streamlined view that supports alternative routes.
  • Story view improved, especially the navigation between chapters and the header area.
  • Image quota (for uploading images to be included in stories) increased massively
  • Deleting comments is now protected with a warning dialog
  • Tags can no longer be edited by anonymous users, the dialog is collapsed on mobile phones by default to streamline the display
  • Various fixes
1 Like