Gay Spiral Stories homepage is using large amounts of CPU and GPU

I’ve noticed that when I have the Gay Spiral Stories homepage open, my CPU usage goes up to 30-40%

When I look in the Chrome performance monitor, the home page is showing anywhere up to 20% CPU usage. And the GPU is showing at 100%.

The same thing happens on Gay Kinky Stories home page.

If I go to sub pages the problem goes away.

It looks like the tab for the relevant home page needs to be active in the tab set. if another tab is active, then the page stops using that level of CPU.

If the window with the tab set is minimised, then the problem goes away.

I mention this because it seems very weird to have a fully loaded page be using CPU. Its not doing anything I can see, and having a page using CPU without any discernable reason is suspicious.

I can’t track down what part of the page is using that much CPU.

Windows 10, latest updates
Chrome, latest version

Have you tried “Disable Pulsing” on the Theme menu? That’s often the cause of high CPU use on the site.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I just tried that, and no, it hasn’t made any difference…

I can’t reproduce that problem. The main site does take a hit on the resources because of the animated badges, but other pages have the same issue.

If you open the list of top rated stories ( Top Rated Stories - Gay Spiral Stories) do you experience the same issue? Because that page is notorious for showing a large number of animated badges. If they were the problem, you should see the same issue there, too.

Also you could try to delete all caches and cookies for GaySpiralStories. You can do that for each site in the settings menu of your browser, or you can simply delete all caching data for all sites.

Yes, this is a problem. It suddenly appeared a few months ago.

GSS is currently the only website where I have persistent performance issues. Scrolling becomes virtually impossible wherever the glowing icons are present. Pages often crash completely.

I see two other forum posts about this, the most active being Mobile issue with story icons and page slowness from May 21, 2024.

Browser/OS: Chrome 126 / Android 12
Device: Lenovo Moto G Play 2023

@TandySensation @NZGymin & all

I’ve just uploaded a small update which hopefully fixes the performance problem.

Changes:

• “Disable Pulsing” has been switched around and is now replaced by “Enable Pulsing”. This is disabled by default, so pulsing is now disabled by default.
  • Even with pulsing disabled, all animation cycled once before. It’s no longer doing that. The animation is disabled completely right from the start.
  • The pulsing user icons (for higher sponsorships) are now also disabled.

Please let me know if this fixed the issues for you.

Also, if you don’t see any improvements, please recheck whether “Enable Pulsing” is not enabled.

2 Likes

This seems to have fixed the problem for me. I certainly don’t see the home pages of the various sites showing large processor usage. Just what I might expect.

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad that it helped. I should have done this ages ago. I just was too much in love with the pulsing effect. But function should always come first, sometimes I have to remind myself of that simple fact.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.